Online meetings: the basics
According to research conducted by Dialpad in 2021, 83% of respondents claim that they waste a third of their workweek attending meetings. That's huge! And it seems that number is only going to grow.
Online conferences grant us a fantastic opportunity to connect with teammates, clients, or friends when you can't meet in person. By using a device with a stable internet connection, camera, and microphone (anything from a smartphone to a desktop), you can see and hear other people. You can also enable screen sharing so that they can see what you're seeing. This type of virtual event is perfect for saving time and money, as people do not have to travel to a physical location to meet.
The most common types of online meetings are:
- Audio-only conferences
- Digital classes
- Video conferences
- Presentations and webinars
How does it all work?
To take part in a conference call, just turn on your internet connection or find a Wi-Fi hotspot nearby, open the website or app where you're going to chat, and invite or join other participants. That's it!
Online meetings, video conferences, or conference calls?
How should you call your online talks? We can't provide you with the right answer. Each company should decide for itself. However, it's important to choose a specific term when you first introduce your team to online meeting software. Why so?
If you decide to implement software that you call a video conferencing app, some employees may wonder if it can be used for audio calls or task management.
Online meeting software: what's it?
Online meeting apps let users collaborate in real-time from any location with an internet connection. It can be used to host video calls, job interviews, webinars, and other types of virtual events. A common application typically consists of a chat window, audio and video capabilities, and a whiteboard for drawing and taking notes. Additionally, many online meeting platforms offer task management tools, a virtual contact center, cloud storage, and other video conferencing features so that your web-based chats remain as productive as real-life conversations.
Free vs. paid video conferencing software
A frequent question for businesses is whether they should invest in paid solutions, like Zoom, GoToMeeting, or WebEx or they can go with a free version of video meeting software like Skype, Google Meet, or Facebook Messenger. There are pros and cons to both free and paid options. Let's take a look at some of them:
- Is typically easy to set up and use
- Has all the basic features to start an audio or video conference
- Usually offers a possibility to upgrade to a paid tier
- Has certain limitations: talk-time, number of participants, lack of free tools
- Isn't suitable for large teams
- Doesn't work with longer events and larger audiences
- Has more advanced features
- Includes enhanced support
- Offers various types of subscriptions, making it possible to adapt to your company's budget
- Perfect for large and long virtual events
- The price grows as your team grows
- Smaller teams will not find it useful to have so many features and tools
- The interface can be cluttered and some functions may be hard to find
- Requires extra training. Can be hard to navigate for not technically savvy employees
Business and video meetings: the benefits
We're pretty sure you've already experienced the perks of online meetings. But let's quickly recap them again.
- You can reach more people online than you could in person
- Online meetings are more efficient because everyone can see the same thing and doesn't have to wait for someone to pass around notes or printables
- Virtual gatherings allow people who are unable to attend in-person to participate. This is especially important for international enterprises, which have their workforce spread around the globe
- Online calls help save time and money, which are usually wasted on commuting, office rent, gasoline, and other things associated with office work. According to Globe Newswire, 47% of employees have reduced time spent on business trips.
That's just a small part of all the perks online meetings can bring to the business sphere and humanity. The rest you'll experience when you start using a reliable and secure video conferencing service.
How to choose the right software for your business
There are tons of different web conferencing software solutions on the market these days. So, which one is the best for your business? And how do you know which one is the right for you?
Here are some things to consider when choosing:
- How many people will use the software?
- What kind of meetings will you use it for? (e.g., one-on-one, team, client, public)
- What features do you need to have successful virtual meetings? (e.g., video conferencing, cloud recordings, instant messaging)
- Will you choose to use a free plan or buy a subscription?
- How much money can you afford to allocate from your budget for such an app?
Once you answer all these essential questions, you can start comparing different options.
Whoosh: your perfect video conferencing solution
Whoosh is an innovative video chat app for modern business. With touch-up tools that make you look professional in no time and smart AI features, Whoosh ensures your next virtual meeting will be a success. It's easy to use and provides a high-quality video experience that you and your team will love.
Discover its powerful features:
- The best video quality and premium audio
Enjoy Full-HD video and impeccable audio even on mobile devices and with a low-bandwidth connection.
- Enhanced sound with background noise canceling
Make crystal-clear video calls free from distracting background sounds.
- Mementos - AI-powered video recording
Let AI create short and beautiful meeting recaps that you can share with your team members.
- Improved digital learning experience
Use audio stream splitting to divide learners into smaller groups, where they can focus on their work and don't have to worry about disturbing others.
- AI-driven Touch-Up
Change the background, apply AR filters, hide any blemishes, and more - with us, it's easy to look your best.
- Smart presenter tools
Draw on a whiteboard, present like a weatherman, and control your presentation with hand gestures.
- Easy scheduling
Relax and focus on the conversation, knowing that your personal assistant is taking care of all the scheduling details.
- High-end web security
Be assured that all your calls have unique IDs and remain GDPR compliant, multiparty encrypted, and under host control.
Work smarter with Whoosh
Online meetings are an essential part of doing business in the 21st century. They allow people from all over the world to come together and collaborate on projects, share ideas, and make decisions. However, online meetings can be frustrating and inefficient if you don’t have the right tools. Just like Whoosh.
This brand-new online meeting platform makes online communication more comfortable and fun. With us, you can share your screen, chat with other participants, and even record events for later playback. Whoosh is perfect for businesses that want to work smarter, not harder.
Schedule your next meeting now and see the difference Whoosh makes.